Google Cancels Its First Party Tablets

No More First Party Tablets
Google

Google has just announced that they will no longer be making their own tablets. They even went as far as cancelling two unannounced tablets that were in the process of development. The statement was that they no longer want to personally compete with Apple's iPads. I don't know the sales numbers but it seemed to me that Google was competing fairly well in this area. The shift in focus has gone more towards their Pixelbook laptop line which will continue getting successors and upgrades. This doesn't mean support has gone away, just production. It's all kind of a shock to me personally. I almost have to wonder if it was a rushed decision or sales really just weren't happening as well as they had hoped. Thankfully Google also said that the teams working on their tablets have been either moved to the laptop lines or other "confidential" projects. The rumor mill says that the two tablets were smaller than even the 12.3 inch Pixlebook Slate that released in October. The two tablets were supposed to release sometime after 2019 but quality assurance denied it and they were both suddenly scrapped and the team moved to the laptop development. Here's the link to the report.


The reports also suggest that since the tablets were cancelled that we might see some new laptops by Google here sooner than expected. I can see that coming at a cost as maybe it could trigger a sort of rushed release that could cause the quality assurance to suffer as a result. I would hope that doesn't happen but we never know. What do you guys and gals think? Are you sad to see the Google Tablet disappearing from the market or are you cheering to hear that we'll see some new laptop models? Leave a comment down below and tell me your thoughts. Also, I'm not going to push this very often but I recently added a new "Donate" button the blog's main page. It's not required but if you do donate then I can possibly start doing first hand reports on new tech that releases. Feel free to let me know that you donated and suggest a product for me to test and I will get on it as soon as possible. Until later guys and gals.

 

Comments

Popular Posts